Northwestern University Department of Neurobiology: Safety Mission and Policy
The Department of Neurobiology at Northwestern University is committed to a healthy and safe environment by employing compliant and effective safety practices and following the university safety policy. All members of the department are to be aware of and practice all safety procedures set forth by the Department of Neurobiology and the Office for Research Safety under the Office of the Vice President for Research.
The Department Safety Officers will:
- Be appointed by their PI annually
- Attend monthly/bi-monthly safety meetings
- Educate their research group on safety practices and department safety policy
- Promote safe work practices and conditions
- Work towards reduction or elimination of accidents and incidents
The Department of Neurobiology requires that all best practices be followed in its research laboratories and that a safety culture be promoted and maintained.
The PI has the responsibility to be compliant with the university safety plan, which ensures the safety of his or her students and lab. Northwestern University safety policy is set forth by the Office for Research Safety.
Department of Neurobiology rules are subject to change based on University Policy with accord of the Chair.
- Office for Research Safety Essential Information Guide
- Safety Enforcement Policy
- Chemical and Biological Safety Manual
- Compressed Gas
- Hazardous Waste
- Hazard Communication
- Volunteer Worker
- Waste Minimization
Emergency Response Plans
Know your address to help direct emergency response professionals:
- Cook Hall, 2220 Campus Drive
- Hogan Hall, 2205 Tech Drive
- Pancoe, Life Sciences Pavilion, 2200 Campus Drive
- Silverman Hall, 2170 Campus Drive
- Technological Institute (“Tech”), 2145 Sheridan Road